How can we improve Pocket Informant 5 for iOS?

Bring back numeric "buttons" for entering time of events rather than wheels

Now that you folks have drastically improved the date picker in PI5.1 by reverting to a PI4-style calendar you can tap on... please fix time entry for events & bring back numbers you can tap on! If the old PI4 keypad layout doesn't fit with your new in-line design sense, how about 2 rows of numbers/symbols: first row has buttons for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & second includes 7, 8, 9, 0, :, and am/pm toggle?

This wouldn't take up any more vertical space than the current wheels and would be more precise - particularly since PI5 now uses the same up/down finger swipe for changing time that is used to navigate to different fields on the screen. Tapping is also quicker - a maximum of 4 taps to select digits (e.g., 3:24 for 3:24, or 1234 for 12:34) and possibly 1 more to change from to pm (from am) is much faster than scrolling through 3 separate wheels (hour, minute and am/pm) particularly that pesky minute wheel.

Lastly, I suggest putting this "time picker" above the date picker (rather than below it as is the case in PI5.1) because people more often need to change the time than the date (e.g., because they are tapping on a day in the calendar then adding an event), and certainly more often need to simply change the end time of an event (than its date).

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    somainersomainer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All good ideas here. But no matter what, ability to have something other than one minute increments is needed. An option to have 5 minute increments even would be so helpful.

• JerryJerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The time picker in 5.2 also has a problem for me in that when I try to change the hour I am often changing the minutes. And when I try to change the minutes I am often on the am/pm picker. So for me the areas of touch are a bit to the left of where I expect them to be.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see it implemented for all time fields in the app (e.g. setting the alarm time).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like the day picker from the 5.2 release, but the time picker still needs work. This post lists the problems quite good. I am not sure the proposed solution is what I want. Fore one, I like direct 24h entry which is typical used in Germany and have no use for a am/pm switch.

Actually, the horizontal wheels from the original Informant 5 release were pretty good for *time* entry.
        It was even possible to change the minute interval (1, 5 or 15 minutes). It needed a few refinements. For example the hours and minutes could go around in a circle so after 23 the 0 follows again, so no need to scroll back all the way to the beginning. It would be favorable if scrolling while selecting the time wouldn't be needed.

• boydstonboydston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option for picking numerals is to change the keyboard to numbers only. I am pretty sure I've seen apps do this. When the focus is in the time field, the keyboard is only numbers.

Anyway, the vertical spinning time wheels MUST go. Scrolling the screen = accidentally scrolling the time = DANG!

Feedback and Knowledge Base