How can we improve Pocket Informant 5 for iOS?

Bring back numeric "buttons" for entering time of events rather than wheels

Now that you folks have drastically improved the date picker in PI5.1 by reverting to a PI4-style calendar you can tap on... please fix time entry for events & bring back numbers you can tap on! If the old PI4 keypad layout doesn't fit with your new in-line design sense, how about 2 rows of numbers/symbols: first row has buttons for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & second includes 7, 8, 9, 0, :, and am/pm toggle?

This wouldn't take up any more vertical space than the current wheels and would be more precise - particularly since PI5 now uses the same up/down finger swipe for changing time that is used to navigate to different fields on the screen. Tapping is also quicker - a maximum of 4 taps to select digits (e.g., 3:24 for 3:24, or 1234 for 12:34) and possibly 1 more to change from to pm (from am) is much faster than scrolling through 3 separate wheels (hour, minute and am/pm) particularly that pesky minute wheel.

Lastly, I suggest putting this "time picker" above the date picker (rather than below it as is the case in PI5.1) because people more often need to change the time than the date (e.g., because they are tapping on a day in the calendar then adding an event), and certainly more often need to simply change the end time of an event (than its date).

129 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    somainer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please reconsider using the number buttons for setting time. What a pain in the neck it is to scroll and have to precisely stop the scrolling when you see the number you want! If you cannot include a keypad, could you at least include shortcut buttons for 15,30 and 45 minutes?

• Ren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with everything said in the original post. The vertical wheels are extremely frustrating and very bad UI design (often inadvertently scroll the whole screen rather than the wheels as the scrolling area is so small and the action is vertical for both, takes too much precision and attention to perform this task which should be rapid and simple). Many people complained in PI4 when you had scroll wheels for time, then you changed to numbers, and most people agreed was a much better (faster, simpler) design. Same applies here. Please change to dedicated number buttons again (or a number keyboard like suggested below). It's currently so frustrating!

I ABSOLUTELY agree with the person who posted this article. The time wheels are awkward, frustrating, and mostly unnecessary!! The selection target zone (to rotate those wheels) is narrow, not demarcated, and missing them causes you to slide the whole page up which is GRRR frustrating. Moreover, each scroll of those wheels (e.g., to change from 6:00 to 6:30) requires not one "touch" but multiple touches. FRUSTRATING!! And beyond that... do we really need minute by minute time assignments on an appointment calendar? Surely 5 or 10 minute intervals would be adequate reducing the number of touches considerably. I think you are making a mistake by not having buttons of some sort.

• Sylvieba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the wheels to set hour and minutes are very annoying and take more time to set appointment than pick a number as it was before.
        Please give an other option (you can leave the wheel for those who like it!).

• Keith Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer the wheel based method of picking time however it would be nice to see the increment options from the original Informant 5 time picker come back. Most times I just need to see 15 minute increments so having to scroll 29 times just to get to :30 is a bit of a pain.

• Ep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not allowing users to set number-of-minutes increments on the minutes wheel, perhaps have the wheel "snap" to 5 or 15 minutes, and allow choice of individual minutes between increments only when required.

• anwomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tapping on the keypad in PI4 was really simple, quick, great!
        If you don‘t want/can bring this back: 2 thinks would (in my mind) be helpful for the wheel solution:
        1. minute wheel in 5 min steps
        2. additional button +15 minutes

• Rt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I am not a big fan of it, I understand that you may want to keep the wheel. If that's the case, you might want to take a look at what some other developers have done. For example, Atracker Pro has added some additional programming so that you can add or subtract 15 minutes or 30 minutes at a time. This would make a considerably easier to change, rather than having to scroll. Another program you might want to take a look at is Due.

• Marcus Ettling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´m having big problems with the weels. Very often I change the time when I simply want to scroll down the page. And I often change the minutes when I want to change the hours.
        A simple 1-0 keypad would allow me to set the time much faster and without accidental time changes. I loved the old keypad of PI4 and would love to have it back. Actually I sometimes concidered downgrading to the old PI4, just to get rid of this problem.

Maybe it could be made possible to switch between the weels and a keypad in the options? That way everyone could coose the preferred way of time setting.

Marcus

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please remove the wheel scrolling time chooser. It just doesn't work. 7 times out of 10 I end up scrolling down the whole page. So frustrating.

• Walter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wheels are OK, but I would like an option to select the size of the minute wheel, 1 min., 5 min, 15 min.

• Steven Bussard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The End Time setter is broken on my iPhone 5S.

It appears at the very bottom of the screen. This makes it almost impossible to edit.

When I try to change the hours or minutes, I keep bringing up the Apple screen that lets me change my key settings (such as wifi or turn on my flashlight).

If I touch the AM item at the right side of the scroller, it scrolls to blank entry above the AM or PM. Then I can't get it to scroll down.

All good ideas here. But no matter what, ability to have something other than one minute increments is needed. An option to have 5 minute increments even would be so helpful.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The time picker in 5.2 also has a problem for me in that when I try to change the hour I am often changing the minutes. And when I try to change the minutes I am often on the am/pm picker. So for me the areas of touch are a bit to the left of where I expect them to be.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see it implemented for all time fields in the app (e.g. setting the alarm time).

I really like the day picker from the 5.2 release, but the time picker still needs work. This post lists the problems quite good. I am not sure the proposed solution is what I want. Fore one, I like direct 24h entry which is typical used in Germany and have no use for a am/pm switch.

Actually, the horizontal wheels from the original Informant 5 release were pretty good for *time* entry.
        It was even possible to change the minute interval (1, 5 or 15 minutes). It needed a few refinements. For example the hours and minutes could go around in a circle so after 23 the 0 follows again, so no need to scroll back all the way to the beginning. It would be favorable if scrolling while selecting the time wouldn't be needed.

• boydston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option for picking numerals is to change the keyboard to numbers only. I am pretty sure I've seen apps do this. When the focus is in the time field, the keyboard is only numbers.

Anyway, the vertical spinning time wheels MUST go. Scrolling the screen = accidentally scrolling the time = DANG!

Feedback and Knowledge Base