How can we improve Pocket Informant 5 for iOS?

Navigation - One tap to switch between views

I would like to be able to switch between task view and calendar view with a single tap, and I would like to swap between different calendar views with a single tap, without the current transition screen between the two taps. And please get rid of the animation

122 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • boydstonboydston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah, I vote against this. The current navigation has some big pros: it's clean, unified, simple, and scalable.

Instead, get rid of the home screen and get rid of the slide-out animation so that two taps is very easy and very fast.

I think that will solve the actual problem which is that navigating is relatively hard and slow. It is not so much about two taps as it is about how difficult and slow it is to navigate.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently up and down swipe changes the month in the calendar. how about left right swipe to move between a task view and the calendar.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the current navigation system, it's what convinced me to buy a yrs subscription. Please, if you change it much, leave us an option to keep this or something very much like it. The uncluttered screen is excellent, and everything else is 2 presses away. My forefinger, old as it is, can manage it!

• sdeetzsdeetz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In informant 4, you could jump from Calendar to tasks with just one tap. Same thing to jump to any other view.

But with informant 5, you went backwards and made it take to taps to switch from one screen to another.

A productivity app should be focused on reducing taps, not increasing them.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the recent blog post it sounds like tap and slide is going to the way to "solve" this issue - my initial reaction is that I'm not going to be a fan, sounds fiddly and possibly slower than the 2 tap solution.
        My subscription ends in June so I'll keep an open mind and give it a go when the change is implemented (still using PI4 at the moment because I REALLY don't like the current navigation in PI5). Unless the new navigation works better than I'm expecting I'll be moving to a new app rather than renew at £25/year

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO there are so many different ways that people can and probably do use PI that the only way to satisfy the majority of customers is to allow them to customise the navigation buttons available with one-click. For example, currently the 4 buttons currently displayed are "New", "Filter", "Goto Date" and "Goto Today". Of those 4 options displayed the only one I use regularly is "New", so currently it couldn't be much worse, I have 2 clicks 99% of the time. My ideal set of options would be "New", "Focus", "Month View", "Tasks" & "Notes" (it looks like it would be possible to display 5 buttons plus the current button that displays all options). To reiterate my main point, I'm not suggesting you change the options to suit my preferences, it's that they will be different for most people so having a fixed set of options is likely to always frustrate a large portion of your user base.

• boydstonboydston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One commenter had an elegant solution: tap-and-hold, then swipe to desired view, let go for desired view. OR tap (see the home screen) and tap on desired view (<- current behavior)

Feedback and Knowledge Base